HSBC Issuer Services’ approach, in line with HSBC Group sustainable commitments, played a key role in servicing a variety of ESG related transactions in 2022, across the following pillars:
- Debt: Green Bonds, Sustainability Bonds, Green Loans, Sustainability-Linked Loans – including Trustee, Fiscal Agent, Facility Agent, Security Agent & Account Bank roles
- Equity: Primary listing and secondary market M&A activity relating to ‘Green Assets’ – including Escrow Agent, IPO Receiving Bank & Account Bank roles
- Infrastructure: Renewable energy, social infrastructure, public transport – including Trust & Retention Accounts, Facility Agent, Security Agent, Trustee & Account Bank roles
Both ESG and Innovation are at the heart of HSBC’s strategy. This was acknowledged by Triple A which awarded HSBC Issuer Services for its agency roles on the HKD 800m Reg S Hong Kong first Green Bond issued in “tokenised” format for the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
Tokenised bonds are cleared and settled through the CMU, benefiting from the statutory settlement finality under Hong Kong law, and the bonds are issued on a digital asset platform, to facilitate quicker settlement for issuers (as early as T+1).
This innovative, landmark transaction stood out by ticking a number of ‘firsts’:
- The first institutional tokenised green bond by a government issuer globally
- Th first institutional tokenised green bond in Asia
- The first tokenised bond governed by Hong Kong law
- The first tokenised HKD denominated bond
This deal marks a significant step towards capital markets innovation and showcases the transformative potential of tokenisation in the bond issuance and asset servicing process.
Find out more about HSBC Issuer Services here.